Tuesday, March 19, 2013

The properly justified slug

Resilient Mold Cam Adjustment


Handy Illustration of First-Elevator Cam

This illustration is a useful reference if you are in the back of the machine and cycling it by hand, and you need to know when to stop cycling(!) By looking at this cam, you can determine when the first elevator is resting on the vise cap, or when the justifications take place, etc. This illustration is scanned from the Intertype Book of Instruction, page 46.

But first! Release the pressure of pot lever spring!

Testing proper clearance between the face of the mold and vise jaws

Page 150

Hydraquadder causing the problem? Could be...

The Trouble Line

Occasionally while running the machine, I've experienced a "no cast". This happened randomly, or at least it seemed to be random, because after a second attempt to cast the same line often the machine would give in and produce the slug. When it didn't cast a second time, I would switch it up slightly and maybe add a thin space, etc. and I could get it to go. It didn't happen frequently enough for me to explore the issue until recently. The line pictured above is the one that stopped me and got me to look into the problem.

In this case I was setting 10pt on 10pt mold, 18 pica width, first position. I was using standard justification with the hydraquadder off. As you can see, it's a full line, 6 space bands with less than a pica to go. I sent the same line through as it is pictured (but recreated with different matrices) several times. No go. Other lines that seemed to be similar length and spacing did go, so it was a mystery to me why this one would not. 

More details to come....

Spot Color!

This makes use of 6pt Linotype Garamond, handset type, ornaments and found letterpress advertising cuts. 

Monday, March 18, 2013

I'm in the process of tracking down belt material for the main drive belt. I stopped in on our local supplier Empire Rubber where the crew there presented me with a bunch of great info and options. Good guys and a good resource. With their help, I should be able to match the lacing and material. 

The belt that I ended up using was:
Empire Rubber's item number: 20045012
Description: 4/140 II Tan FSxFS 1.5" W

Flexco Clipper Lace was used, added to trim length of 78.5"